This is Jasmine. She turned 9 on June 10, 2005. I adopted her from the CCRT and she came home to me on April 25, 2003. It would be a long journey for her to our date with destiny.Jasmine

Jasmine started out life as Xena. She was sold to a breeder at the age of six weeks. She then became Waffle (one of many dogs named alphabetically by certain subjects, the easier to remember them all I guess). She gave birth to her last of many litters in January 2003 and came to the CCRT after her pups were weaned on February 6th. She was available, my Application was approved – I wanted her right away!

First, of course, she had to be spayed. Then she had to heal properly. She also required dental work. She was in foster care with Kathy, one of the many wonderful CCRT volunteers. I tried to talk the CCRT into releasing her into my care while she was healing. The CCRT, in their wisdom, said that wasn’t best for the dog and, of course, they were right. It was so hard to wait but Kathy, her foster mom, was wonderful to me by sending regular e-mails and even welcoming me to her home twice to visit with Waffle.

I was in love. Waffle, on the other hand, was not. I was so worried that I could not live up to the wonderful person and care she was finally receiving. She was afraid of EVERYTHING and very wary of me. She was afraid of the wind, of looking out the ceiling to floor window, of the rain, people and animals she met on her walks, her walks, moving objects, tall objects, loud sounds or anything unexpected. Of course, EVERYthing to her at this point was unexpected.

She was trained to go on puppy pads but often, in her fright and confusion, she missed. She didn’t understand the concept of telling me she had to go outside. She only felt really safe in hiding so would go under the nearest piece of furniture she could find. She needed me at night though so finally I would hear the little tappity tap sounds of her coming down the hall and then she would be at my side of the bed asking to come in.

JasmineEvery day brought us closer together. She adjusted to my very senior Lhasa Apsos with all their idiocyncrancies within a couple of weeks and soon became friends with them. At first she seemed alarmed when I would hold her and kiss her, then she would put up with it, then she welcomed it and now she comes looking for snuggles. She still can’t lead me to the door but she has not had an accident since the second month.

If she goes to her favourite spot in the TV room it isn’t long before she comes looking for me to make sure I’m where I’m supposed to be and always comes to be with me if if I sit down.

I feel so lucky to have found her and can’t begin to thank the CCRT for all the work they do in rescuing and helping these abandoned, neglected or abused dogs open their hearts to the love they so desperately need and want.

Adrienne in Hamilton